Sunday, October 25, 2020

Day 25: Ghostbusters (1984) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Ghostbusters (1984)

I ain't afraid of no ghost!  I really liked the first Ghostbusters when I watched it as an early teen, and the humor was aimed right at me.  From the young college kid getting shocked during Venkman's psychic tests (both when his gum falls out of his mouth after an electric jolt and the fact he was correct in the card viewing--but just one card off each time), to the happy-faced Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man stomping through New York.  

I also use "Mother Pus-bucket" as my go to swear word, so there's that, too.

As for the 1989 sequel, eh, it was OK.  So was the 2016 remake--it was fine and in no way deserving of all the hate and vitriol it received; not terrible, not great, it was fine.  A brief aside: I used to find nerd-rage mildly amusing (I hope you're all sitting down, but I'm a nerd, too); now that it is a cottage industry with the volume knob turned up to 11 at all times, it's wearisome and boring.

I went back and forth: Slimer or the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man...  Slimer or the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man...  Maybe next year, Stay-Puft.

* * *

STEP ONE:  In Clip Studio Paint, I created a 1,500px x 2,250px document and did some relatively quick pencils of Slimer eating hotdogs, of course.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here is the first pass with color roughs under the digital pencils.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And the finished digital painting.  Slightly more detail and some texture here and there, and a slight glow added with the Airbrush tool, with the opacity of the layer dialed down to about 65% or so.  Also, I was trying to make the crumbs under Slimer look like semi-chewed food which passed through him (literally, in this case), without it looking like so many, um, bird droppings.

* * * 

Done digitally with Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment