Sunday, October 18, 2020

Day 18: Mad Monster Party? (1967) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Mad Monster Party? (1967)

Whew!  Done with a couple hours to spare!  Just in time to start the next one...

Things may have gotten a little grim and gory of late (don't worry, there's more to come!).  So, let's lighten the mood with a truly terrifying movie from my childhood: "Mad Monster Party?"  In this case, it's a portrait of Baron Boris von Frankenstein, as voiced by Boris Karloff.

OK, it's actually stop-motion, animated comedy, but there is just something about Rankin-Bass animation which I find... off putting and unsettling.  Maybe it is a sort of "Uncanny Valley" with the way they move which bothers me--the animation style.  I watched plenty of Rankin-Bass movies--mostly because I would watch almost anything animated, or which had monsters/aliens/robots/all-of-the-above.  But, they were also a bit unnerving to me.  Which adds to the creep-factor of this movie for me.

The jokes are all old vaudeville; one of the writers on the screenplay was Harvey Kurtzman of "Mad Magazine" fame; and it had voice talents from Boris Karloff to Phyllis Diller.  It's mildly amusing.  However,  the ending did blow my 8-year-old mind (SPOILERS for a 53-year-old movie):

Francesca: I'm just a machine with hundreds of parts that will eventually wear out.
Felix Flanken: Well, Francesca, none of us are perfect. [Click] Are perfect...  [Click] Are perfect...  [Click] Are perfect... [Click] Are perfect...

Hey, I was 8 at the time... cut me some slack!  Of course, much, much later I realized that was a tip-o-the-hat to the ending of "Some Like it Hot" (1959).

* * *

STEP ONE:  These are the digital pencils, done in Clip Studio Paint on a 1,500px x 2,250px canvas at 300dpi.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here is about the halfway point.

* * *

STEP THREE:  The finished picture.  Mostly, it was done on a single layer, using various brushes and such.  As always, lots of noodling around and such until I decided "Good enough" and posted it.

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment