Monday, October 11, 2021

Day 11: The Mist (2007) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2021

 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2021:
The Mist

Hey, what's more appropriate to follow "The Fog" than Stephen King's "The Mist" (2007)?  For some reason, people sometimes confuse the two movies.  What other weather phenomena should I do next?  Perhaps, next, I should do "The Haze"?  Or maybe "The Light Rain"?

I always liked the Lovecraftian horrors in both the short story and movie (yeah, I also apparently like the adjective "Lovecraftian", which I seem to be including in a majority of HELL-o-Ween posts this year).  And, of all the monsters that dwelled in the Mist (again, in both short story and movie), the one that captured my imagination was the Behemoth.

I do agree with King, that this is one of the few times when the movie version does have a better--if more darkly ironic--ending than the work they are adapting.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Digital pencils scribbled in Clip Studio Paint on a 2,100px x 1,500px @300dpi gray-toned canvas.  Part of me wanted to just do it up as a loose, scribbled, digital pencil drawing, but that seemed a little anathema to the Mist effects I wanted to use.

* * *

STEP TWO:  This is about the 2/3's point in the digital painting, with the Behemoth mostly finished.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And here is the final image.  I used a few layers involving the digital airbrush on a Normal Layer, an Add Glow layer, and a Darken layer.  Time to call it good enough and move on to the next entry!

* * *

This was done with digitally with Clip Studio Paint

.

No comments:

Post a Comment