Sunday, October 24, 2021

Day 24: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2021

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2021:
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Time for something a little more light and fun to start the countdown to the final week of "31 Days of HELL-O-Ween".  It's another post from "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"--this time it's Lucy's costume of a witch mask and ghostly bedsheet.  I will admit I have a lot of nostalgia for The Great Pumpkin, having watched it yearly when I was a youngster (yes, kids, there was a time before VCR's and DVD's, or your Cartoon Networks, when you had only one chance per year to watch a cartoon special, or holiday-related show and you better hope you saw it or it was too bad 'til next year... Now THAT'S scary!).

I was very tempted just to do the simple, colored in pen-and-ink line drawing and call it done, but nnnoooooo, I just had to crosshatch, like, a billion lines.  When will I learn?  Onward to the final leg of this race toward the finish line!

* * *

STEP ONE:  In Clip Studio Paint, I created a 1,500px x 2,100px @ 300dpi canvas and quickly sketched out the digital pencils.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here are the digital inks.  At first, I was thinking about doing a realistic style digital painting, but then thought about doing a highly detailed scratchboard effect...  Nah, how about a shadowed, digital pen-and-ink?  I finally settled on an inking style similar to Gahan Wilson or Robert Crumb with semi-dramatic lighting.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And here's the finished painting, with various layers of color added.

* * *

This was done digitally with Clip Studio Paint on an iPad.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment