Monday, October 2, 2023

Day 02: Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2023

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2023:
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

I figured I'd start with one of the scariest movie monsters out there: Klaus Kinski!  Oh, wait, I mean Nosferatu.  Well, maybe both.  I usually like to start out with some of the classic monsters and I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nosferatu is one of the creepiest vampires on film.  In this case it's Werner Herzog's 1979 remake of the classic 1922 silent movie.

While I did appreciate most of the remake, there is something about the silent, black-and-white original that adds an extra layer of creepiness.  That janky, jittery, olde tyme film stock contributes an unearthly and somewhat surreal feeling that the remake cannot capture.

I know there are lots of jokes about how could people in horror movies go in [insert creepy environment here], but if I'm invited to a gothic castle and a Count Orlock/Nosferatu lookin' dude answers the door, I'd be running out of there so fast I'd leave a me-shaped hole in the wall like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  I certainly wouldn't be carrying on normal conversations with him like people in the movie.

I did it as an Acrylic Painting and used a relatively limited palette of Titanium White, Paynes Gray, Quinacridone Magenta, Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, and Primary Cyan.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here is a quick outline done in Paynes Gray to suggest the general outline to figure out where everything was going to go on the page.  I painted it on an 8-1/2" x 11" extra thick cardstock which was primed with a 50/50 mix of gesso and matte medium.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here's the first pass with Paynes Gray and Titanium White to model the form as well as the lights and darks for the painting.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And after lots and lots of noodling about, here's the final painting.  Unfortunately, my scanner isn't the best, artist quality one out there, so it loses a lot of the subtlety and is a lot more harsh than it is in person.

* * *

Done with Acrylic paint on 8-1/2" x 11" gessoed cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment