Friday, October 6, 2023

Day 06: The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2023

 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2023:
The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)

It's another Hammer Film, this time "The Curse of the Werewolf" from 1961.  I will admit that, in general, Werewolf movies are not among my favorite monsters (with the exception of 1981's "An American Werewolf in London", which I did like quite a bit, and a few others), but they're a classic monster in the genre, so here we are.  I remember watching this movie a time or two on Saturday afternoon TV matinees, where Hammer Movies were plenty. 

I remember it as pretty slow moving, but it had a monster in it so I was gonna watch it as a kid.  Yeah, I was pretty dumb like that when I was a kid.  As an adult, I'm dumb in mostly the same way, but also have new ways of being dumb, so I've grown in that sense.

This was done with Acrylic Paint and a limited palette of: Paynes Gray, Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, and Cadmium Red Deep.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here is a quick outline done in Paynes Gray/Burnt Umber to suggest the general outline to figure out where everything was going to go on the page.  It is painted on an 8-1/2" x 11" extra thick cardstock which was primed with a 50/50 mix of gesso and matte medium.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here's the first pass to model the form, as well as the lights and darks for the painting.

* * *

STEP THREE:  It's the finished painting, done with lots and lots of layering and back-and-forth.

* * *

Done with Acrylic paint on 8-1/2" x 11" gessoed cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment