Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Day 09: The Creature from the Black Lagoon - 31 Days of HELL-o-Ween 2019

31 Days of HELL-o-Ween 2019
Day 09: The Creature from the Black Lagoon


Since I started a run with Universal Monsters, I figured I'd continue it 'til I got a The Creature from the Black Lagoon.  And here we are.

I started with just a ballpoint pen drawing, but began to think maybe I should throw some watercolor over top of it.  So, I used some casein fixative to keep the paper from warping too much and to give the watercolor a medium to "stick" to.  It turned out the ink wasn't all that waterproof, so that was an interesting effect (one I plan on using for a future picture).  I almost left it as the blurry mess of lines, as it looked kind of interesting, but threw some color over top.  After an initial flat color layer, I decided to use some gouache (opaque watercolor) over it--leaving the ballpoint pen as a sort of texture beneath the painting.

And here is the progression of the work in progress...

* * *





* * *

This was done with ballpoint pen and watercolor on 7" x 10" Canson Mix-Media paper.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment